|Autors: Brusev, T. S.|
Title: Hysteresis Controlled Switching-Mode Amplifier for LTE Applications
Keywords: switching-mode converter, CMOS 0.35 μm,process, Cadence, LTE wireless communication standard
Abstract: Switching-mode amplifiers are used in power
supply circuits, which deliver the energy to the transmitter’s
power amplifier (PA) for fourth generation Long-Term
Evolution (4G LTE) applications. They could be part of series or
parallel hybrid envelope amplifier (EA) architectures in
combination respectively with linear amplifier. In this case
switching-mode amplifier supplies about 80% of necessary
power to the PA. Therefore efficiency of this stage strongly
affects the overall efficiency of the envelope tracking power
amplifier (ET PA) system. Switching-mode converters are used
also in the interleaved multiphase structures, which perform the
function of EA in 4G LTE transmitter. In this paper are
presented investigation results of hysteresis controlled switching mode
buck converter designed on CMOS 0.35 μm process.
- J. Sankman, M. K. Song, and D. Ma, "A 40-MHz 85.8%-Peak-Efficiency Switching-Converter-Only Dual-Phase Envelope Modulator for 2-W 10-MHz LTE Power Amplifier," Symposium on VLSI Circuits Digest of Technical Papers, June 2014.
- M. Hassan, L. Larson, V. Leung, and P. Asbeck, "A Combined Series-Parallel Hybrid Envelope Amplifier for Envelope Tracking Mobile Terminal RF Power Amplifier Applications," ," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol.47, no.5, pp.1185-1198, May 2012.
- Y. Li; Lopez, J.; Lie, D.Y.C.; Chen, K.; Wu, S.; Tzu-Yi Yang; Gin-Kou Ma, "Circuits and System Design of RF Polar Transmitters Using Envelope-Tracking and SiGe Power Amplifiers for Mobile WiMAX," Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, IEEE Transactions on , vol.58, no.5, pp.893-901, May 2011.
- S. Yoo, J. S. Walling, E. C. Woo, and D. J. Allstot, “A switched-capacitor power amplifier for EER/polar transmitters,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Solid-State Circuits Conf., San Francisco, CA, 2011, pp. 428–430.
- F. Wang, D. Kimball, D. Lie, P. Asbeck, L. Larson, "A Monolithic High-Efficiency 2.4-GHz 20-dBm SiGe BiCMOS Envelope-Tracking OFDM Power Amplifier," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol.42, no.6, pp.1271-1281, June 2007
- Tuffery, A.; Deltimple, N.; Leite, B.; Cathelin, P.; Knopik, V.; Kerherve, E., "A 27.5-dBm linear reconfigurable CMOS power amplifier for 3GPP LTE applications," New Circuits and Systems Conference (NEWCAS), 2011 IEEE 9th International , vol., no., pp.221,224, 26-29 June 2011.
- J. Lopez, Y. Li, J. D. Popp, D. Y. C. Lie, C. C. Chuang, K. Chen, S. Wu, T.-Y. Ying, and G.-K. Ma, “Design of highly efficient wideband RF polar transmitter using the envelope-tracking technique,” IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 44, no. 9, pp. 2276–2294, Sep. 2009.
- J. N. Kitchen, C. Chu, S. Kiaei, and B. Bakkaloglu, “Combined linear and Δ-modulated switch-mode PA supply modulator for polar transmitters,” IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 404–413, Feb.2009.
- J. Ham, H. Jung, H. Kim, W. Lim, D. Heo and Y. Yang1, “A CMOS Envelope Tracking Power Amplifier for LTE Mobile Applications,” Journal of Semiconductor Technology and Science, vo.14, no.2, pp. 235-245, April 2014.
|iCEST2015, pp. 271-274, 2015, Bulgaria, ISBN 978-619-167-182-3|
Full text of the publication