|Autors: Punov, P. B., Perilhon C., Lacour S., Podevin P., Descombes G., Evtimov T.|
Title: Injection timing strategy for exhaust heat recovery optimization on a turbocharged diesel engine
Keywords: diesel engine, injection timing, waste heat recovery, Rankine-Hirn cycle, simulation
Abstract: The paper presents a numerical analysis of injection timing effect on engine output power and heat rejected by exhaust gas in a turbocharged direct injection diesel engine implemented for a tractor application. The engine performance and exhaust gas enthalpy were studied by means of an engine computational model built in advanced simulation code AVL Boost. A Rankine-Hirn cycle model was developed due to estimate recovery potential of the exhaust gas. Injection timing optimization was carried out at the most commonly used engine operating points. The maximum engine output power was chosen as a target parameter to determine the optimal start of injection. A combination of Rankine-Hirn cycle using water as working fluid and injection timing optimization increased the maximum engine output power by 7.4%. The results revealed that in order to optimize overall engine efficiency in case of waste heat recovery system is applied it is necessary to reduce injection advance by 2deg to 5deg.
- Bourhis, G., Leduc, P., 2010, Energy and exergy balances for modern diesel and gasoline engines., Oil Gas Sci. Technol. Rev., Volume 65, pp. pp. 39-46
- Glavatskaya, Y., Olivier, G., Podevin, P., Shonda, O.F. Heat Recovery Systems within passenger cars, International Congress Automotive and environment CAR 2011, Pitesti, Romania.
- Leduc, P., Smague, P. Rankine System for Heat Recovery: an Interesting Way to Reduce Fuel Consumption, Proceedings of ICE Powertrain Electrification & Energy Recovery, Rueil-Malmaison, France, May 2013.
- Punov, P., Lacour, S., Perilhon, C., Podevin, P. Possibilities of waste heat recovery on tractor engines, Scientific conference BulTrans-2013, Sofia, 2013,7-15.
- Brezáni, M., Labuda, R., Barta, D., Repka, J. Using of waste heat of internal combustion engines. Proceedings of 22nd International Scientific and technical conference trans&MOTAUTO’14 on transport, road-building, agricultural, hoisting & hauling and military technics and technologies, Varna, 2014, Bulgaria, 62-64.
- Dolz, V., Vovella, R., Garcia, A., Sanchez, J. HD diesel engine equipped with a bottoming Rankine cycle as a waste heat recovery system. Part 1: Study and analysis of the waste heat energy. Appl. Therm. Eng. 2012, 36, 269–278.
- Serrano, J.P., Dolz, V., Vovella, R., Garcia, A. HD diesel engine equipped with a bottoming Rankine cycle as a waste heat recovery system. Part 2: Evaluation of alternative solutions. Appl. Therm. Eng. 2012, 36, 279–287.
- ] Stobart, R., Hounsham, S., Weerasinghe, R. The controllability of vapour based thermal recovery system in vehicles. Presented at SAE World Congress & Exhibition, Detroit, MI, USA, April 2007.
- Freymann, R., Strobl, W., Obieglo, A. The turbosteamer: A system introducing the principle of cogeneration in automotive applications. In MTZ Worldwide; Springer: Wiesbaden, Germany, 2008; Volume 69, pp. 20–27.
- Freymann, R., Ringler, J., Seifer, M., Horst, T. The second generation turbosteamer. In MTZ Worldwide; Springer: Wiesbaden, Germany, 2012; Volume 73, pp. 18–23.
- Weerasinghe, W, Stobart, R., Hounsham, S. Thermal efficiency improvement in high output diesel engines a comparison of a Rankine cycle with turbo-compounding. Appl. Therm. Eng. 2010, 30, 2253-2256.
- Hountalas, D., Mavropoulos, G. Potential for Improving HD Diesel Truck Engine Fuel Consumption Using Exhaust Heat Recovery Techniques, New Trends in Technologies: Devices, Computer, Communication and Industrial Systems 2010, 313-340.
- Armstead, J.R., Miers, S.A., Review of waste heat recovery mechanisms for internal combustion engines, ASME, ICEF 2010-35142.
- Shudo, T., Toshinaga, K. Combustion control for waste-heat recovery system in internal combustion engine vehicles: increase in exhaust-gas heat by combustion phasing and its effect on thermal efficiency factors, Int. J. Engine Res., 2010, 11, 99- 108
|International Congress S.M.A.T. 2014, vol. 1, pp. 35-40, 2014, Romania, ISBN 978-606-14-0864-1|
Full text of the publication